Monday 19 February 2007

Daves Place


From your Correspondent in the United States of America, photos by Moto KRZR

Right, another weekend spending time away from the British homeland to the country of doggy bags. Yet again a crazy schedule. Fly back from Canada after booking a £2000 flight last minute to Hamburg, Germany. Going through security in Calgary airport they take me aside and look through my bag, finding a 6” blade pair of scissors, ones which I think I have been travelling with since 27th December. This reassures me seeing as I have been through:

London Heathrow: twice
London Gatwick: once
Chicago O’Hare: once
Geneva: once
Zurich: once

I used to be really tolerant with the security teams, now I get annoyed seeing as they are too busy talking with each other about their arrangements for the night trying to impress each other. Now, I get annoyed because the people in charge of our security clearly do not care! The number of times you see the person doing the security trimming their nails. And in the US where they try to be all ‘ard and intimidating… well they can not find anything over their guts.

Anyway, I fly back to London, getting bussed to the plane to connect to Hamburg. Land in Hamburg, to find they have lost my bags. I hang around the airport, then drive at 180 km/h. My bags turn up at 2am in the hotel

Spend a few days at our facility just south of the Danish border. I love the area. Finally getting my bags back but going in to work in a variety of unironed shirts with some sweater to cover my unkempt appearance. Working each day from 9am until somewhere between 10pm and mid night. I got some 10€ gift voucher from the hotel for some free massage or makeover, who knows, its written in German.

Went home for Friday night, expecting a call from 10pm until midnight, wait for the call and then get told I am not needed, nice of them to keep me from drinking. Saturday (slept for 12 hours), and Sunday morning were nice, flying back to Germany for Sunday night, Monday and returning home Tuesday night for about 10 hours, leaving the next day at 9am for a mid day flight to Chicago. Land in the US, straight through CBP, the officer checking passports was a legend. Go in to the office, skidding on the ice and snow, it is about -15 deg C. Finally get out of the office at 7.00pm. Check in to the dive of a hotel I have booked. I check out 2 days later, sick of waffles giving me stomach upsets and a heater that blows cold air and beds so short my feet stick over the end. Am in a good hotel now, where I have eaten most of the nyams. The work I am here for is ok fortunately and holiday in Canada has changed my attitude to work: Past caring would sum it up

Boring road the Romans would have been proud of:

mess of a room:

The weekend was cool. Went to Dave and Busters
and played on the arcade games and pool surrounded by American Chavs. Go some Evisu jeans for £60 and met up with some good friends and their baby daughter. Watched flags of our fathers, swam for a half hour each day and went to the gym, watched Mexican TV cos they have good looking girls on it. I think Mexico should be the next lad holiday but probably no mountain biking there. na nah

You want to see gas guzzler


Been sorting the holidays out for the summer and riding up north next weekend. Fortunately I have lucked out and don’t need to go to Pakistan in 2 weeks time, I would have loved to go but too tired. May go to China though.

I am loving Razorlight, for some reason America is sticking in my head

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the Gonzo style